NEWS On right side of law but arrested l Why should being gay be a crime? UPCOMING EVENT ARTISANS & DESIGNERS BAZAAR

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Gay spots in Addis

It's amazing how nature always has the power to withstand man-made beliefs that attempts to bar it. This is so true when you happen to witness, in one of the most conservative society, homosexuals link up with one another so secretly, to satisfy their essence needs. Addis is such a good example that has got all the fascinating stories.

Not until I became a member of GayEthiopians group and then, met gay guys, which ultimately I have become aware of gay spots in Addis. At first, I thought it was merely a craving although I was eager to check it out.

It's one of the busiest areas in Addis, where the populace always known to be on the move even though at one time, many considered the area has calm down. But to my surprise, as I have heard about it at all times, this area is 'off the hook' and yet coming back bigger and better without breaking it's real characteristic.

I went there with good friend of mine who happen to have little clues about the spot than me. Even though I don't recall exactly what happened on the first days we went there, I do remember one thing that I was disappointed since I haven't felt the ambiance of the 'gay spot.' I remember we have seen guys but not sure whether they're there to link up or ordinary regulars who just came to have fun. And I said, is this the place where people really claim to be the gay spot!? However, I haven't stopped going, as I haven't renounced and as I also want such a place to exist.

Shortly, in one of the nights we were there, we begin to see guys together and from day to day; I begin to differentiate who seem to be gay, from the way they dress to the way they act. Some of the guy's outfit is so stereotype that you will be able to notice them quickly. Tight top and pants accompanied by their sexy walk tells all to be told.

How to hook up then? I have never managed to do that but grasped the tips on how it's done. Eye Contact is perhaps the prime method to hook up at such spots. If you can see without blinking and eventually, if you dare to pass by and wait by the exit, surely he will crop up from somewhere but, only if he is interested in you. If not, get back to your sit, engage with browsing again and try your next luck. If passing by is so plain for you, you can pretend as you're talking on cell-phone at the entrance as some prefer to do that or you just can go to toilet.

This amazed me greatly at that time but in due time, to an ever greater incomprehension, where we witnessed guys dancing together and holding each other dearly. Not only these, hardly ever, we happen to see guys kissing each other.

Once, I went there with two friends of mine. None scene to be seen where one of my friend decided, why we return back without nothing so long as we can be one of the performers. He insisted me and our other friend to kiss in the middle of straight crowds and waiters. Actually, it wasn't packed as usual but few individuals were there. And yes, we did kiss and the next thing I know is nothing happened, no attack, no tag behind my back - I'm here breathing - talking about it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe you. Not only u but also I don't believe if u say any gays in the city would have the courage to kiss in public. If this is how Addis is treating gays then, I will pack my luggage and be in Addis tomorrow...lool Are you for real gin...?

10:56 PM  
Blogger EG said...

Hello Skeptik, as I have learnt from your post, you don't reside in Addis so I'm sure you don't have a good knowledge in Addis gay scene. As I asserted on the post, it's a gay spot and not necessarily considered as public even though in the very same spot, straight crowds are present. And the kissing doesn't happen frequently and those few times that happened were at times were the crowd is significantly less (and were I got very lucky to see...looool) Plus, I did it once...you don't believe!?

Love.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well th atmosphere is not as apprehensive as it seems...I live in addis abeba and I also saw gay kising another but not many times...and you can come and eyewitness...I say this to the nonbelievers! loooooool

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you guys should be careful...don't take this chance for granted and tomorrow, don't risk to have a kiss in the middle of Meskel Square...loool or at the new park you guys are waiting for...loool I mean the government may not act against you but you should be cautious of the homophobia reaction. It seems you know how, when and where to do it ...I'm impressed very much by your courage and my appreciation for the blogger.

Peace queers.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi you there. how do u guys find ur sexual partner or how do u differentiate homos from straights?how is ur interaction with the Ethiopian lesbians?

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home